Have you been thinking about your next meal time adventure to wow the whole family? You can’t go wrong with a tater tot breakfast casserole! And, adding crispy bacon to top it all off makes for an unforgettable experience. You can get all of the flavor you love from your favorite juicy bacon cheeseburger, without the hassle — so you can spend more time with the people who matter most.
Here are the steps to make a delicious breakfast casserole with tater tots and chopped bacon and a few other tips, tricks and recipes to keep in mind along the way.
Steps to make a bacon tater tot casserole
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 16 oz. bag of frozen tater tots.
- 1 medium onion (finely diced).
- 10 slices of bacon (cut into ½ inch pieces).
- 6 large eggs.
- ½ cup of heavy cream.
- 1 cup of milk.
- Salt and pepper (to taste).
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper.
- 3 cups shredded cheese (cheddar and pepperjack). Set aside 1 additional cup for the top of the casserole.
Making your bacon tater tot casserole
- Step 1: Preheat your oven to 375°F. Then, spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and line with tater tots.
- Step 2: Place your bacon on a cookie sheet and bake for 12 to 14 minutes until crispy.
- Step 3: Add 1 tablespoon of bacon grease and the onions in a small saute pan over medium heat, and cook until translucent.
- Step 4: Next, remove your bacon from the oven and chop into bacon bits. Once your onions are cooked, place them on top of the tater tots in your casserole dish along with the chopped bacon.
- Step 5: In a large bowl, combine your eggs, heavy cream, milk, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and cheese (pepper jack or cheddar cheese will work!). Whisk together and pour over top of tater tots.
- Step 6: Lastly, top the mixture with an additional 1 cup of your shredded cheese of choice, and cover your creation with aluminum foil. Place in a preheated oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Step 7: After this time, remove your casserole dish from the oven, take off the foil and bake for an additional 25 minutes until brown and bubbly.
- Step 8: Finally, let rest, and then cut into squares, serve and enjoy!
Tips, variations and FAQs to keep in mind
Tips and variations
- For an extra loaded dish, offer sides of sour cream, crumbled bacon and shredded cheese so all of your loved ones can dress their plate just how they like it!
- You can substitute the heavy cream and milk in this recipe with sour cream and cream of onion soup or cream of mushroom soup — depending on the flavor profile you’re looking for.
The perfect sides to pair with your casserole
While the options for sides are practically endless, here are some of our favorites:
- Roasted vegetables.
- Side salads (e.g., asparagus salad, greek salad or wedge salad).
- Homemade rolls.
- French fries or sweet potato fries.
- Garlic mashed potatoes.
How do you store and freeze a tater tot breakfast casserole?
- Store: Once you’ve had every last bite you can take, move your leftover casserole into an airtight container and place it in the fridge. This will stay good for five days.
- Freeze: You can freeze your tater tot casserole, but it’s recommended to do so before you cook it. After you’ve prepared your initial ingredients, wrap your baking dish once in storage wrap and then again in aluminum foil. You can freeze the dish for up to four months and then cook according to the instructions.
Ready to get started? Head to your local grocery store to pick up your favorite Hatfield® products for a delectable result!
Other breakfast recipes for the whole family
Recipe 1: Sausage Gravy
This simple yet flavorful recipe for breakfast sausage gravy is a comforting dish everyone will love on a lazy Sunday morning. You can bring this mouthwatering dish to life with just a few ingredients including Hatfield® Recipe Essentials® Country Ground Sausage and your favorite biscuits.
Recipe 2: Ground Pork and Blueberry Brioche French Toast
Take a savory twist on a classic dish with this recipe for pork and blueberry French toast! This easy, overnight breakfast casserole is made with buttery brioche bread and a crunchy cinnamon and blueberry topping that will leave everyone wanting more.
Recipe 3: Sweet Potato Ham Hash
Need to make breakfast in a pinch? Try our recipe for sweet potato ham hash! You can have this perfect combination of sweet and savory ready-to-go in 25 minutes. Simply grab your skillet and get cooking!
Choose premium pork with Hatfield®
When it comes to your friends and family, you want top-tier ingredients for the best results — and that includes the pork products you choose. Hatfield® is dedicated to providing quality pork products that make your meal time simply delicious.