When life gets busy, you need delicious recipes on your side that you can make in a flash. And when you're feeding the whole family, you want quick and easy meals that are nutritious, too. Sound impossible? Not at all! In fact, we've got just the dish in mind — mu shu pork lettuce wraps, to be exact.
Read on for the steps to bring this lettuce wrap recipe to life.
Considering a delicious lettuce wrap recipe for the whole family
If you've been looking for your next delicious recipe that will satisfy everyone in the family and minimize your time spent in the kitchen, look no further than pork lettuce wraps! This tasty dish is light yet comforting — perfect for a night when you want to eat something healthy that requires minimal effort to prepare. It's easily modifiable, so you can cook this pork mixture and lettuce cup recipe to everyone's liking. Plus, the mouthwatering mix of sauces and ingredients provides a sweet and savory taste that's sure to make this dish a household favorite.
7 steps to make pork lettuce wraps successfully
Prep + Cook Time: 15 minutes.
- 1 pack Hatfield® Recipe Essentials Ground Pork.
- 1 Tsp. sesame oil.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
- 8 oz. shiitake mushrooms, sliced.
- ½ cup of scallions, sliced on the bias.
- 1 bag of coleslaw mix.
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce.
- Crushed red pepper (to taste).
- Boston lettuce (butter lettuce) or Romaine lettuce leaves.
- Hoisin sauce.
Making healthy lettuce wraps with ease
- Step 1: First, in a large suaté pan, heat one teaspoon of sesame oil over medium heat.
- Step 2: Then, add and cook your pork for 5 to 7 minutes or until cooked through and brown (no longer pink).
- Step 3: Remove the ground pork and set it aside.
- Step 4: In the same pan, add the olive oil, mushrooms and scallions: cook until the mushrooms are tender.
- Step 5: Now, add your slaw mix and cook until slightly wilted.
- Step 6: Return your pork mixture to the pan and stir in soy sauce and crushed red pepper.
- Step 7: Serve with lettuce leaves and drizzle with hoisin sauce.
If you're ready to get started with this recipe that's great for the whole family, head to your local grocery store to pick up your favorite Hatfield® products!
Expert tips to keep in mind
What lettuce is best for mu shu lettuce wraps?
You can use almost any lettuce leaf that you would prefer for your lettuce wraps. Our recipe calls for Boston lettuce — also known as Bibb and butter lettuce — or Romaine hearts, but other popular options include iceberg lettuce, cabbage leaves and jicama wraps.
What can you substitute for soy sauce?
If you can't find any soy sauce lying around the house or it's simply not your personal preference, don't worry! There are several substitutes you can consider instead: This includes coconut aminos, oyster sauce and tamari. Fish sauce is another popular option that can also be used as a substitute for hoisin sauce if needed. Some even opt for chili sauce, chili garlic sauce or sriracha to make spicy pork lettuce wraps with an extra kick.
How do you prepare lettuce for wraps?
When it's time to ready your Boston lettuce, first, pull off any outer leaves that are wilting, brown or thin. This should reveal a healthy, delicious-looking layer of leaves underneath. Then, you can remove the core by inserting your knife at an angle and cutting around it to separate it from the lettuce leaves.
After this, you can simply peel the leaves one by one and gently rinse them, and they're ready to go. Keep in mind that it's best to do this as close to when you plan to eat as possible, because your leaves can quickly start to wilt if prepared too early on in the process.
What can you serve with mu shu pork lettuce wraps?
As you prepare this wrap recipe with ease, there are a few sides you might consider to complete the meal. Some of the most common complementary dishes include:
- Oven-roasted Brussels sprouts and cauliflower.
- Wonton soup.
- Cauliflower fried rice.
- Cucumber salad.
- Sauteed mushrooms.
- Roasted vegetable medley.
Considering other tips and tricks
- Serving with sauce: Our recipe includes a perfect drizzle of hoisin sauce as the final touch on these lettuce cups. But, if you have a little extra time on your hands, you can make a different sauce for dipping or drizzling on top. Here's one you can try: Simply whisk together ¼ cup of coconut aminos, ¼ cup sweet chili sauce and a little honey.
- Making it crispy: To give your pork a little extra crisp, don't continually stir while you're browning it. Instead, let it sit in the oil for extra crispiness, then stir and repeat.
- Storing leftovers: Got leftovers? Place your pork mixture — minus the lettuce — into an airtight container and put it in the fridge. This will stay good for up to three days.
- Using fresh lettuce: Keep in mind that while your pork will last you for a few days, it's best to start with fresh lettuce every time. This will help you avoid lettuce leaves that are wilting and not as tasty.
Other recipes to try — using top-tier ingredients along the way
Once you've made delicious lettuce wraps with ground pork, what's next? The options are practically endless, especially with high-quality pork products at hand. Here are a couple of our favorite pork recipes to keep in mind for your next mealtime adventure.
Recipe 1: Pork Fried Rice
When it comes to feeding the whole family, you can't go wrong with this staple Chinese cuisine. You can have lunch or dinner ready to go in half an hour with our recipe for authentic pork fried rice. Enjoy delectable ingredients from high-grade pork and rice to carrots, broccoli and peas, while resting assured your time in the kitchen will be minimal, so you can focus on what matters most — quality time with your family.
Recipe 2: Pork Noodles
Want something else to consider when you want an appetizing meal but don't have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen? Pork noodles! In just 20 minutes, you can turn three simple ingredients — oil, ground pork and noodles — into a new household staple. Feel free to customize the recipe to your heart's content: With dozens of different flavor combinations and great-tasting toppings to choose from, you and your family can experiment and find your own favorite way to make it.
Find the pork products you need from Hatfield®
No matter what recipe you choose, remember that not all pork products are created equal: When you're looking for top-tier ingredients that lead to the best results, Hatfield® can help. With pre-seasoned, fresh and first-rate options to choose from, you can spend less time in the kitchen for an equally delicious result every time.
Our products are created with one goal in mind: to bring you quality pork that's simply delicious. And, that simplicity is key to helping you spend the most time with your loved ones during mealtime. Ready to get started with high-grade pork products that can bring the whole family together? Use our store locator to find your favorite Hatfield® products in a supermarket or grocery store near you.