Summer is the perfect time to grill for the whole family and indulge in your favorite mouthwatering recipes. If you've been looking to elevate your grilling game, you can't go wrong with grilled pork tenderloin in foil. Not only does grilling give this tender cut of meat a tantalizing smoky flavor that everyone will love, but cooking it in foil can take the dish's depth and juiciness to a whole new level.
We're taking a closer look at the full benefits of using foil and the tips for grilling pork tenderloin to perfection every time.
Tips for choosing the ideal pork tenderloin
Before you can start grilling, it's important to choose quality pork for the safest and most mouthwatering meal. Keep the following tips in mind to find the option that's right for your mealtime adventure:
- Check for marbling (i.e., thin streaks of fat running through the meat) as this indicates better flavor and tenderness.
- Inspect the packaging date to ensure freshness, including whether this option will still be good when you plan to grill it. Opting for recently packaged tenderloins guarantees optimal quality and reduces the risk of spoilage.
- Consider purchasing organic or pasture-raised pork because they tend to offer more flavor and higher quality overall.
- Select pork with a pinkish-red color, and avoid pale and grayish meat, as this suggests freshness.
- Choose a tenderloin that's firm to the touch and steer clear of any overly soft or mushy options.
Preparing your pork tenderloin for grilling success
Making a marinade
If you're starting with a plain tenderloin, making a simple marinade at home is a great way to infuse it with extra flavor and enhance its tenderness. And, there's no shortage of options you can choose from in terms of taste. Regardless of the combination of seasonings, herbs, spices and other ingredients you decide to include, there are a few best practices to take into account:
- Balance flavors: You'll typically want to create a well-rounded marinade by balancing sweet, savory and acidic ingredients. For example, you might combine honey and brown sugar with soy sauce, lemon zest, garlic and herbs for a harmonious result.
- Reserve some for basting: After you create your marinade of choice, make sure to set aside a portion of it before adding it to the pork. Then, you can use it to baste the meat while grilling, or before serving, for an extra layer of taste and moisture.
- Allow time for marination: When possible, plan ahead so you have at least two hours for the tenderloin to soak in every element. You can also let it sit overnight in the refrigerator for maximum flavor infusion.
Using a pork tenderloin foil packet
If you're a novice griller, you'll be happy to hear that grilling marinated pork tenderloin using a foil packet can be a game-changer. Why? Because the foil protects the tenderloin from direct heat, helping to ensure even cooking and prevent the meat from becoming too tough.
To prepare a packet for the meat, start by tearing off a large piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Then, you can place pork tenderloin in the center of the foil and fold the edges together to create a tightly sealed packet.
Setting up the grill
So, how can you use an aluminum foil packet to bring this main dish to life?
To set up your grill for indirect heat cooking, preheat it to medium-high heat and arrange the coals on one side of the charcoal grill or turn off burners on one side of a gas grill. Now, you can place the foil packet on the cooler side of the grill and close the lid. The use of indirect heat allows for gentle and controlled cooking so that you can achieve perfectly juicy results every time.
How do you know when pork tenderloin is done?
Grill pork tenderloin for about 20 to 25 minutes, turning the packet occasionally to promote even heat distribution. Remember to use an instant-read meat thermometer to check the internal temperature of the meat. With the thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the tenderloin, the internal temp should reach 145 to ensure food safety for your and your loved ones.
Ready to start grilling pork tenderloin for a delectable summer meal? Head to your local grocery store to pick up your favorite Hatfield® products today!
Step-by-step instructions for grilling pork tenderloin in foil
With the top tips for grilled pork tenderloin in mind, you might already be planning to treat your family to this delightful main dish. And, by cooking the tenderloin in aluminum foil, you'll lock in all of the tasty juices and achieve a tender result that will leave everyone wanting more.
With minimal effort, you can create a memorable meal that brings the family together for a summer gathering. Whether you're hosting a backyard barbecue or simply enjoying an evening outdoors with your loved ones, here's one of our favorite healthy recipes for preparing and grilling pork tenderloin.
- 1 Hatfield® pork tenderloin.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil.
- 1 tsp. garlic powder.
- 1 tsp. salt.
- ½ tsp. black pepper.
Making pork tenderloin on the grill in foil
- Start by pre-heating your grill to medium-high heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
- Rub this mixture over the meat (let it marinate for 30 minutes for the best results).
- Then, cut a sheet of foil that is about twice the size of your tenderloin, and place the meat in the center of the foil. Fold up the sides of the foil to create a packet.
- Then, place the pork tenderloin on the grill in indirect heat and cook for about 25 minutes or until the pork is cooked through. Check for an internal temp of 145 to ensure it's fully cooked.
- Remove the pork from the grill and let it rest for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
What can you serve with this grilled pork tenderloin recipe?
When it comes to finding the perfect sides to accompany your freshly grilled pork tenderloin, the options are practically limitless. This means you can easily tailor the meal to suit your family's preferences and create the best dining experience. With the freedom to choose from a wide range of sides, here are popular options to consider:
- Roasted garlic cauliflower.
- Braised Brussels sprouts with bacon.
- Roasted green beans.
- Fig and arugula salad.
- Honey-glazed carrots.
Why high-quality pork is essential for family grilling
If you're planning on grilling for the family this summer, you'll want to choose high-quality pork products. This ensures a delicious, safe and enjoyable mealtime experience for the whole family. And, when you want to spend less time in the kitchen and prioritize being with your friends and family, you can opt for pre-marinated options — offering convenience without compromising on flavor.
With premium pork products from Hatfield®, you can explore a range of deliciously pre-seasoned options like Hatfield® Honey Garlic Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin or Hatfield® Lemon Garlic Pork Tenderloin. Pre-marinated choices allow you to focus on grilling to perfection and take your results to the next level.
When you're ready to get started, you can use our store locator to find your favorite Hatfield® products in a supermarket or grocery store near you.